Monday, January 28, 2008

Coyote hunting season is about to begin


At least according to the U.S. Navy, which has its sights on a coyote that's been living in Discovery Park, according to this Seattle Times article.


Now, don't get me wrong, if the coyote had harmed a human, I would have acknowledged the necessity of this. But so far, it's just been seen, and I think chewed up a cat. I don't think that deserves a death sentence.


There have been coyote sightings all around Scenic Hill, in fact there was a flier that circulated this fall about a coyote and cat-small dogs going AWOL. And late one night, coming home, I saw what at first appeared to be a small dog jogging just at the edge of my headlights. But then the tail came into focus. Too bushy and too silver for a dog. It was a coyote on the hunt.


And I do know that there's a pack of coyotes near The Lakes, that set about to howling each evening, and more than a few cats have disappeared from that complex, I'm told by friends that live there.


No one, as far as I can see, is calling for a coyote hunt here.
Photo taken by the Seattle Times.

(As an update later in the day, the PI posted this story. Apparently the coyote has a reprieve.)




No comments: