Sunday, January 20, 2008

Despite the rain, the cold, they came




As I was driving to the night beach walk last night, I kept watching the sheets of rain ping off my windshield like hornets.


Great, we're going to get what, maybe five people showing up? But once I made it to Seahurst Park, and I did make it this time, not only were there about 10 volunteers from the People for Puget Sound, the Environmental Center and the Beach Naturalists, but about 50 people, many with small children, showed up for the two-hour walk.




We saw lots of starfish, a few annoyed kelp crabs, a blue heron that suddenly found itself in kleig lights (I didn't know they could fish at night), baby star fish, moon snail shells, chitons, whelks, and hermit crabs, plus plenty of anemones.
Once the walk was finished, Daoud Miller, of People for Puget Sound, told the story of Raven and Loon (I think) stealing the Sun for Mankind. A perfect winter story.

Photos by moi!
Here are the snaps. (I'm still trying to get the sand out of my camera).





No comments: