Monday, January 7, 2008

Gawd save the trees, and humans should help out too


In reading this story in the PI, I was struck by the fact that some folks just don't seem to get it.


Trees are valuable, not just because of the oxygen, wildlife refuge and shade their produce, but just because of their beauty and age. This talks of a 500 year old oak that couldn't be saved from a developer's blade.


Just up the road on Reiten, here, I noticed that an old oak was chopped down that was at least 100s of years old. Now, it may have been rotted, I don't know, but I still mourned its loss. Ever since we moved in this house, my husband and I have been in a tug of war over the cedar out front. He wants to chop it down, I say it stays. So far I've won this argument.


Then he set his eyes on the back yard pine, and I think that was only saved when the neighbors suggested that it be chopped down (:
Picture courtesy of the PI

No comments: