Monday, February 18, 2008

Octopi, smarter than you think


I had heard that octopi had the intelligence of about a two year old, and after hearing that, I swore off eating calamari (that isn't squid).

This article in the Seattle Times about the Seattle Aquarium's octopus week hints they aren't that smart, but I'm still not eating them any time soon.



Any animal that can recognize its feeder (and greet it) and recongize a keeper that harasses him, or her, and squirts at them is smart enough for me. Besides they can do something I can't, and get into those childproof bottles.

I haven't seen the Pacific Octopus, but have seen the red octopus on beach walks, except they aren't red once we lift the rocks, they are turning white, a color of fear, I'm told. And we're also told NOT to touch them, as they have a nasty sting.


Photos courtesy of the Seattle Times and People for Puget Sound



2 comments:

Matt said...

Don't underestimate the intelligence of Octopi.

I just did a post on my blog, with a freaky video, showing how smart Octopi really are: ApocalypseSigns.com.

Keep up the good work!
-Matt

Barbara Clements said...

Thanks Matt. Will take a look at your blog now.

Barbara