Tuesday, April 1, 2008

So is a Prius a Good Car, or a Bad one, Greenwise?

That was the questions confronting my family of late, when we decided to dump our old Plymouth Voyager (DONT BUY THESE CARS), which was a lemon, and choose a new car to run until the wheels fell off.

I had narrowed it down to a either a Toyota Camary, Honda Civic or a Prius, figuring with gas prices edging toward $4 a gallon, and my effort to green up my habits, this was possibly a good choice.

But then I heard from a man I was interviewing for a freelance story in Renton, that in fact, there is an entire environmental wasteland outside Toronto that comes from mining the nickle used in the batteries in the Prius cars. OK, hadn't thought about that.

This article in Slate also gave me food for thought. It says the Hummer/Prius comparison is bull. We ended up buying a Civic, BTW.


No comments: