Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'll Be Looking for Both of These Critters This Summer


As I walk around Scenic Hill in Kent, or along the Green River Trail. I swear a heard an owl on one walk last summer, and it was the "hoot hoot" great horned kind of call. At first I thought it was kids playing, but no, it isn't.

Aside from looking up at the sky, I'll be looking down on the ground, for garter snakes. I haven't seen them in years, but since we're going organic in the back yard, I'm hoping to charm them back.


3 comments:

ethanthom said...

Hi
I have seen one up close in RI
Yea right.that is what I thought too,but there he was sitting on the railing of a bridge that passes over a salt marsh.I was no more than a foot from him.The bird looked at me hesitated a few seconds that flew off. It was an exciting moment for me.I thought you mite like to know nature is coming back on the East Coast too. Eath

Barbara Clements said...

Eath, thanks for letting me know.
I love owls, and whenever I see them, I freeze and have to do a double take.

One flew over a freeway near our home a few weeks ago (it was night) so I'm sure it was an owl.

And out at the ocean, last summer, we were eating dinner, looking out at the sand dunes, and there was an owl hunting, swooping by the lights again and again. What a treat!! My meal got cold watching, but I didn't care.

Barb

Barbara Clements said...

Anybody else have any favorite owl stories out there?

BC