Saturday, May 24, 2008

Watch your step


Many times I'm looking off at a distance or up, at the critters around me. But sometimes it pays to look down.

I was walking the dog on Scenic Hill this week, and noticed a brown stain (I thought) in the road, and I went over to investigate. When Kodi sniffed at it, the stain moved, in a wave. It was a bunch of brown ants (no, don't know the genus or species) moving in mass, from one burrow to the next just off the edge of Laurel Street.

They seemed to be backing each other, grooming each other, but all moving in the same direction around dusk (probably to keep from being eaten by birds. I'm pretty sure bats wouldn't land to eat).

I ran home to show my daughter this mass migration. She was not impressed.

"You brought me down here to show me this?"

Well, it's cool.


No comments: