Thursday, June 19, 2008

Finds on the beach




I'll be heading out there this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, but here are the finds from about two weeks ago, including a hairy chiton (I don't think it's a mossy, I always get those confused), a sea lemon and a tunicate (don't know if it's invasive or not, just orange and slimey).

The scale of this chiton is a bit lost in this photo, but it was about three to four inches long, which is big for these guys. They can live to be 100 years old or more.


3 comments:

brexians said...

with out to be an expert I think is a mossy one!
look the photos in the linkQ

http://www.beachwatchers.wsu.edu/ezidweb/animals/Mopalia.htm

Barbara Clements said...

Thanks! I'll check this out. I saw another one last weekend that was just as big, and I think, you're right, they are mossies.

Barbara

brexians said...

ok take some photos also
I wish you long and happy walks..