Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sea Cuke. Who came up with this name?







Was prowling around Des Moines Beach in my Beach Naturalist role on Sunday - yes skipping church, but I figure it's for a good cause, protecting God's creatures - and came upon these fanlike creatures on the jetty near the end of the beach.

They were sea cucumbers, doing their feeding bit. Usually, when I see them out of the water ,they have a bit of a phallic look about them. But here, they were absolutely gorgeous. Also, finally found a Moon Snail, oozing away. She wasn't too happy when I pried her up to show her to visitors. But I made sure she was safely buried in the sand so the gulls or crabs couldn't find her.

Finally came the dungeness crab, who was a bit worse for wear, but had enough spunk to tell me to keep back. We covered her with seaweed too, for the same reason. The gulls and crows follow us around the beach for an easy lunch, so we have to hide our finds again.




No comments: