Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bushtits and bumble bees


I was looking at a flock of bushtits swarming over my suet feeder last night, hanging outside of my kitchen window, and lo, came across this article today in the Tacoma News Tribune.

Apparently, once they start swarming around the feeders, the kids are gone.

Also last night, and the night before, I was walking our dog, late, around Scenic Hill, and always enjoy passing by this one yard on Hemlock, which has said to hell with the lawn, and just started planting flowers everywhere. She's planted about five lavender plants, which have bushed out and attracted mucho bees. It was late one night, about 9 pm, when my fat, hairy dog can actually enjoy a walk, and there were the bushes, scenting the air with lavender, and as I looked closer, I realized that about half a dozen bumbles had decided to spend the night.

In casting around on why this was happening, I came across this cool web site about, lavender and bees, I guess, as well as general nature studies. I used one of her pictures, as you see, and I plan to take my own tonight.

2 comments:

Angel said...

I love little birds like those bushtits. So cute! And interesting info about the bees. I love animals and nature. I might just have to check back with your blog every now and then. :)

Barbara Clements said...

Please do.

I try to keep it focused on critters around where I live in Kent, Wa, although if it catches my eye, I'll post it regardless.

If you find anything on why bees camp out on flowers overnight (I thought they went back to the den, so to speak), let me know. BC