Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bats anyone? How about spiders?








On Monday the 20th, the Rainier Audubon Society will be having a speaker on birds, and bats. So plan to attend. I figure that most of the bats are sleeping right now, and I haven't seen any in the night sky in about 2 weeks, even with the warm weather going into late September. Oh well, that's gone now.




But was is out in full, besides the Canadian Geese flying this way and that, are the spiders. Our rose garden in Kent has turned into a spider condo, with every spare plane, where one could build a web, taken. In fact one of the uber spiders of the species (I'm still looking it up to find out which one), I think moved into one fo the webs, and ate the builder and plopped herself in the middle one sunny day. Rough neighborhood.
Actually, I think the spiders I'm seeing are not wolf spiders, but orb spiders, some of which can get quite big, and apparently wander indoors during the winter (good maybe they can eat some of the fruit flies that seem to spontaneously combust in my kitchen. Here's a cool spider site, courtesy of WSU.


No comments: