Wednesday, January 2, 2008

So what's the health of that stream running by your house?


I wonder that often as I drive by Mill Creek Park, near by home in Kent.


I plan to call up the City of Auburn tomorrow, and ask about the Mill Creek Restoration Project sign I see at the bottom of the West Valley Highway and Peasley Canyon Road, and ask about the health of the stream in general.


Here's a story on the stream health in Seattle, done by some SPU students (my alma mater). It's an interesting, if somewhat discouraging read.


Photo from the Seattle Times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often wonder if we are past the point of no return. With all the urbanization our area has seen, can we ever get our streams healthy again? Even if the answer is no, it's still important to keep trying, isn't it?

Barbara Clements said...

I think there are some streams that are simply beyond the point of no return. However, I've seen some amazing things happen when a community works to restore a stream that is overgrown, underneath a culvert, clogged with fridges, et al.

All the sudden, life returns.

So I think one should always try. I will be asking about Mill Creek's general health (have no idea, really what condition the stream's in, or if salmon ever tried to go up it).