Monday, December 31, 2007

This time of year brings back memories of fishing

This is the photograph (below, right) that this blog is named after. About 45 years ago, mom clipped this out of a paper and framed it, and then gave it to my dad for Christmas.

She said he was a salmon swimming upstream (from New Mexico back to Washington State in this case.) Yesterday, we were down at Cabela's looking at all the folksy stuff, as well as stuff to fish or shoot critters with. And then we stopped at the walk through trout pond, where my daughter snapped this(left).

Fishing (trout and salmon) was one of the few ways my dad and I bonded, especially after I realized, at about 12, he was an alcoholic. As a result, New Years is not one of my favorite holidays. And it's nice to see Gary and Jennifer bond over fishing - which they do without me - without the crushing angst that disease brings to the table. I wrote and essay about it, but can't seem to pop it for the Web right now. When I do, I'll post. Happy New Year everyone.

And by the by, my daughter wants everyone to know, she took this snap!



She is pretty handy with that camera phone she has. Look for more of her stuff next year.

No comments: