Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sometimes the food just isn't worth it


I laughed when I first saw this story, before I realized that some of the birds had died while diving into a pile of fish guts for dinner.
I read later the company that owns the fish processing plant is picking up the tab for the medical care for the birds, and donated several thousand to wildlife rescue agencies.


My hubby, who spent some time in Adak, Alaska, said that in fact, the bald eagles would perch on rock and you'd feed them like crows up there. Here's a great article from the local branch of the Nature Conservancy on eagles. I usually see one hanging out in an old snag by the Smith Brothers Farm each winter. But this year, not. Has anyone else seen the baldie?

In a roundup of other stuff I saw over the weekend, there was the story about fish, that died, again, in Hood Canal. Also, I saw a short blip in the Seattle Times about goats needing a home. Anyone? They work wonders on blackberry bushes.
Photo courtesy of the AP

No comments: